Question of the Week
Taking Care of Yourself During Tax Season
Happy Friday, everyone!
With the Corporate income tax deadline next week, I’ve talked to a lot of stressed business owners. A few of them had more issues than they realized on previous returns. Others were trying to gather and send over the required supporting info. And others trying to take care of personal issues on top of getting the tax deadline done.
There’s no doubt it’s a stressful time. And during times like this, I find it even more important to take care of myself the best I can. So this week, I want to revisit some practical steps to self-care. A client reminded me this week that our emotions tell us what we need, and it’s our job to listen to our feelings (and sometimes our bodies) and take care of ourselves.
Here are some practical methods of self-care clients and I have found effective.
- I put my phone in a drawer for at least an hour a day
- I meditate every day using Headspace
- I pick a new area of the house to clean every week
- I take a lunch break with my husband every day
- I spend two hours a day in our yard with my kids
- I’ve asked my husband to take care of the kids for three hours in the morning so that I can work
- I bought a water bottle that makes sure I get my daily recommended amount of water
- I garden
- I bought a necklace that helps ease anxiety through breathing.
- I journal every day
- I occasionally close my eyes, take a few deep breaths and feel it in my body
- If my spouse and I find ourselves in an argument cycle, we ask for a “do-over.”
- I bake cookies every weekend
- I do yoga online
- I started learning Italian
- I found some home workout routines for regular folks
- I plan a vacation after the stress is over
I’m definitely implementing that last one after both deadlines this year!
In addition to those tips, here are readings that have empowered and comforted me:
- 7 Months Into the Pandemic, and I’m Losing Motivation. Help!
- It’s Helpful to Protect Your Energy When and I Protect My Energy By
- Beat the burnout: How to fight pandemic fatigue with science
Quote of the Week
“If you don’t love yourself, nobody will. Not only that, you won’t be good at loving anyone else. Loving starts with the self. – Wayne Dyer
Tasks of the Week
Every day this weekend, ask, “How am I going to take care of myself today?” Choose something from the list or something completely different. I’d love to hear what you try. Message me at the links below.