Question of the Week
Know Yourself Better By Taking the Enneagram Test
Happy Friday, all!
At BTF, we believe that getting in tune with your own needs, wants and desires helps you make the best decisions. Getting a firm grasp on who you are helps with all kinds of things—from taking care of yourself, to making the most of your money and relationships to overall life satisfaction. Financial planning lets you create the life you want. But first you have to figure out what that that actually looks like for you.
I’ve already discussed a few tools that we use in our practice like the values exercise, the Kinder Questions, or your Ideal Day/Week/Year. This week a friend introduced me to The Enneagram Institute, which has a developed a powerful tool for helping us understand ourselves and others.
At its core, the Enneagram helps us to see ourselves at a deeper, more objective level. It can be of invaluable assistance on our path to self-knowledge. You can take a simple online test or take a deeper dive through the workshops and course that The Enneagram Institute® offers.
The main test analyzes your basic personality type. Most people are a mix of some or all of the nine distinct personality types identified by The Enneagram, but one type dominates. This is your basic personality type.
The Nine Personality types are:
- Type One is principled, purposeful, self-controlled, and perfectionistic.
- ·Type Two is generous, demonstrative, people-pleasing, and possessive.
- Type Three is adaptable, excelling, driven, and image-conscious.
- Type Four is expressive, dramatic, self-absorbed, and temperamental.
- Type Five is perceptive, innovative, secretive, and isolated.
- Type Six is engaging, responsible, anxious, and suspicious.
- Type Seven is spontaneous, versatile, acquisitive, and scattered.
- Type Eight is self-confident, decisive, willful, and confrontational.
- Type Nine is receptive, reassuring, complacent, and resigned.
Although discovering your Enneagram personality type is the primary object, the tests can also provide additional information about your personality and its dynamics. This gives you helpful information about how you relate to yourself and the world.
You can find more about the Enneagram Institute here and more about how the system works here.
Quote of the Week
“When I discover who I am, I’ll be free.”― Ralph Ellison
Task of the Week
If you have $12 and 40 minutes this week, take the Enneagram Institute’s Riso-Hudson Enneagram Type Indicator (RHETI) test. I found it very insightful, and I would love to hear about what you discover.