So Ben and I are getting ready to travel to his family’s house for Thanksgiving. But before I sign off for the week, I wanted to express a bit of gratitude.
I’ve been surprisingly closeted in my blog about my immense love and admiration for Oprah. And one of my favorite lessons of hers involves writing down five things you are grateful for everyday. (She calls it her gratitude journal.) Her premise is if you are grateful for what you have right now, you will end up having more.
And while I’m not the most diligent with keeping my daily journal, I still write out my five things from time to time. I think especially in the world of personal finance, we get caught up with comparing ourselves to others and focusing on what we don’t have or can’t do with our money. That mindset makes it easy to overlook what we do have or the progress that we’ve made.
So in the spirit of gratitude, here are the five things I’m grateful for this Thanksgiving:
- Finding a new medium to follow my passion.
- Living in a time of amazing progress for marriage equality.
- Getting to take yet another Thanksgiving road trip with my favorite travel partner.
- Spending another holiday with my extended family.
- Being able to donate so that more people will enjoy Thanksgiving this year.
I hope you all have a wonderful and a joy-filled Thanksgiving!